MUSEUMS AND SOCIETY
”A museum is a non-profit, permanent institution in the service of society and its development, open to the public, which acquires, conserves, researches, communicates and exhibits the tangible and intangible heritage of humanity and its environment for the purposes of education, study and enjoyment.”
The ICOM definition of a museum is clear and includes the role of museums as active social agents in raising awareness about the challenges we face today and in promoting positive changes in society.
The role of a social agent involves the inclusion of local communities, promoting unheard voices and correcting mistakes in our common understanding of the past. This work is rewarding and challenging and there is a need to learn from each other.
This website is the English version of museumsetikk.no, a Norwegian database of various museum projects, tips on relevant literature as well as courses and seminars.
The purpose is to help more museums work as active social agents.
Ways of Seeing
The last couple of weeks we have seen an interesting discussion and maybe personal tragedy unfold itself in Norway. The case involved the Norwe […]
International conference: Museums as Agents of Memory and Change
- The joy of sports for everyone? | NORWEGIAN OLYMPIC MUSEUMsamfrolle2018-01-26T11:33:39+00:00
The joy of sports for everyone? | NORWEGIAN OLYMPIC MUSEUM
- Not that easy | Vest-Agder-museetsamfrolle2018-01-26T11:09:36+00:00
Not that easy | Vest-Agder-museet
- Room for all? | Haugalandmuseenesamfrolle2018-01-26T10:35:45+00:00
Room for all? | Haugalandmuseene
- My Body – My Truth | Vest-Agder-museetsamfrolle2018-01-26T09:54:06+00:00
My Body – My Truth | Vest-Agder-museet
- Social actor in theory and practice | Vest-Agder-museetsamfrolle2018-01-26T09:27:27+00:00
Social actor in theory and practice | Vest-Agder-museet
- It Conserns You Too | Vestfoldmuseenesamfrolle2018-01-26T09:11:55+00:00
It Conserns You Too | Vestfoldmuseene
- Look at the Cod! | Tromsø Museumsamfrolle2018-01-26T08:57:10+00:00
Look at the Cod! | Tromsø Museum
- Barn i bygda | Ryfylkemuseetsamfrolle2018-01-25T08:57:43+00:00
Barn i bygda | Ryfylkemuseet
- PROJECT ICE STATION ZEBRA | Pikene på broensamfrolle2018-01-24T14:49:10+00:00
PROJECT ICE STATION ZEBRA | Pikene på broen
- Fluent in Russian | Perspektivet museumsamfrolle2018-01-24T14:28:53+00:00
Fluent in Russian | Perspektivet museum
- My costume – My history | Perspektivet museumsamfrolle2018-01-24T14:20:36+00:00
My costume – My history | Perspektivet museum
- Homo Religiosus | Perspektivet museumsamfrolle2018-01-24T11:29:32+00:00
Homo Religiosus | Perspektivet museum
- I didn’t tell anyone that I had been sick | Nasjonalt Medisinsk Museumsamfrolle2018-01-24T10:30:28+00:00
I didn’t tell anyone that I had been sick | Nasjonalt Medisinsk Museum
- Network for gender equality and diversity in art museums | NTNUsamfrolle2018-01-24T09:20:18+00:00
Network for gender equality and diversity in art museums | NTNU
- BODY WORLDS Vital NTNUsamfrolle2018-01-24T09:08:27+00:00
BODY WORLDS Vital NTNU
- At home with.. | Teknisk Museumsamfrolle2018-01-24T08:57:28+00:00
At home with.. | Teknisk Museum
- A litte piece of Norway’s Health Care | Nasjonalt Medisinsk Museumsamfrolle2018-01-24T08:32:52+00:00
A litte piece of Norway’s Health Care | Nasjonalt Medisinsk Museum
- Us and the Others Oslo Museumsamfrolle2018-03-09T14:34:25+00:00
Us and the Others Oslo Museum
- Democracy Education for Young People | Eidsvoll 1814 / Norsk Folkemuseumsamfrolle2018-01-23T13:56:04+00:00
Democracy Education for Young People | Eidsvoll 1814 / Norsk Folkemuseum
- Working kids | Klippfiskmuseetsamfrolle2018-01-23T09:57:49+00:00
Working kids | Klippfiskmuseet
- The spy Selmer Nilsen | Måsøy museumsamfrolle2018-01-23T09:58:43+00:00
The spy Selmer Nilsen | Måsøy museum
- The relevant museum | Museene i Sør-Trøndelagsamfrolle2018-01-23T09:59:19+00:00
The relevant museum | Museene i Sør-Trøndelag
- Minorities and inclusion | The Diversity Network / Oslo Museumsamfrolle2018-01-23T09:59:32+00:00
Minorities and inclusion | The Diversity Network / Oslo Museum
- Our Ocean | The Coastal Museumsamfrolle2018-01-23T09:59:48+00:00
Our Ocean | The Coastal Museum
- Traitor | Helgeland Museumsamfrolle2018-01-23T10:00:05+00:00
Traitor | Helgeland Museum
- The Boat Travellers | Haugalandmuseenesamfrolle2018-01-23T10:01:05+00:00
The Boat Travellers | Haugalandmuseene
- The Harald Monument | Haugalandmuseenesamfrolle2018-01-23T10:01:17+00:00
The Harald Monument | Haugalandmuseene
- Words Matter | Buskerudmuseene: Portåsensamfrolle2018-01-23T10:01:36+00:00
Words Matter | Buskerudmuseene: Portåsen
- Latjo drom | Anno museum: Glomdalsmuseetsamfrolle2018-01-23T10:01:50+00:00
Latjo drom | Anno museum: Glomdalsmuseet
- MY ESCAPE | Anno museum: Glomdalsmuseetsamfrolle2018-01-23T10:02:04+00:00
MY ESCAPE | Anno museum: Glomdalsmuseet
Museums and society in the media
The Horrors of Auschwitz at a Museum in New York
A boxcar of the kind the Nazis used to transport people like cattle. The barracks where they slept jammed into narrow bunks. The posts from fences that caged them in. A canister once filled with the poison gas pellets that sealed their fate.
A Lynching Memorial Is Opening. The Country Has Never Seen Anything Like It.
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – In a plain brown building sits an office run by the Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles, a place for people who have been held accountable for their crimes and duly expressed remorse. Just a few yards up the street lies a different kind of rehabilitation center, for a country that has not been held to nearly the same standard.
In censoring a ‘Queer Museum,’ Brazil edges closer to authoritarianism
An art show has become Brazil’s latest political battleground. For those who didn’t get to see the 270 LGBTQ-themed works that comprise ” Queer Museum,” good luck: You may never see them. The exhibition, until recently on display at the Santander Cultural Center in Porto Alegre, was abruptly closed on September 10, fully one month early.
Can Museums Be Neutral?
A few months ago, Mike Murawski, in partnership with LaTanya Autry of the Mississippi Museum of Art and The Empathetic Museum, created t-shirts to support a “Museums are not Neutral” campaign. Murawski wrote, “Museums have the potential to be relevant, socially-engaged spaces in our communities.
Why museums need their own ethics departments | Apollo Magazine
Ethical questions about art arise frequently and command public attention. It’s time for museums to invest in sustained, open-ended research
Museums in the changing world order: a question of ethics
The Art Newspaper is publishing a new series about museums in the changing world order. The first part is about increased public critical observation o […]
Do historical objects belong to their country of origin?
Most of all of the global artifacts are held in the West’s museums and galleries. The question is: do the historical objects belong in their country of […]
The Life Stories of Brazilians are Immortalised in the World Arctic Archive
The following information has been released by The Museu da Pessoa, and we spread it with permission of the professionals involved. This is exciting re […]
Lectures from the “You shall be heard!?”-conference now avaliable online
All lectures from the first day of the conference are now avaliable. Watch videos from the lectures of Bernadette Lynch, Heledd Fychan, Piotr Majewski, […]
Museumproffessionals sharing experience on working with poverty
Three museums in Norway have highlighted a particular issue – POVERTY – and summed up their experiences in this short movie […]